Most of the time the initial thing you have to do is to submit, or at the very least think about putting together a IGNOU MA Psychology Project Report. At this stage, any general ideas you have is going to be too broad or too hazy. Don’t worry, you are supposed to be to the 99. 9% of psychology students who find themselves in the same position.
The good thing about putting jointly a IGNOU MA Psychology Project so soon into the process is that it will help one to improve your ideas sooner than later. Here are some, is designed to get you taking into consideration the early key stages in the research process.
This kind of preliminary stage of the project process assumes that you have an overall research idea. Whether you consider this idea to be to some extent vague or well developed (the former being the most likely) you must establish and maintain an evidently defined focus throughout your investigation.
Unless you aim to conduct exploratory or emergent research, where theoretically/philosophically you do not visualize issues and questions coming before the investigation is underway, it is rather important that you establish your emphasis at the beginning of the research process.
We can’t emphasize this point enough because not only does it make the entire research process much more manageable but it will likewise make it more likely you get a very good grade when your research study is assessed.
The main reason with this is that it will provide the foundation for what is known as the fantastic thread i. e., the main concept within your research that influences every level of the research process; and as such, is seen developing within each part of your project write-up.
To give you some idea of the thought techniques associated with establishing a concentrate, the following example pertains to a Masters dissertation I supervised. The learner I used to be supervising wanted to look at whether any of the techniques used in criminal profiling could be adopted or modified to investigate financial scam. In order to develop a focus within this general area of interest, between us we discovered the subsequent questions and issues:
- The profiling techniques the student was particularly interested in.
- Eliciting the profiling perspectives that these techniques reside within e. g. classic psychodynamic FBI type profiling and the more ‘scientific’ approaches e. g. statistical modelling.
- Could a theoretical link be founded between profiling and employee/financial fraud, the most evident link might be that it may show something about the personality of the offender.
- Approaching your research from the employers’ point of view, as contacting those who have committed fraud would be fraught with a number of practical and honest difficulties.
- Leaving profiling apart, what about researching work-related crime prevention strategies in general? For instance, the use of cognitive selection interviews to discover false insurance claims. What prevention strategies do banks employ? Happen to be these effective?
Note: In developing your focus of inquiry remember that functionality and ethics must be studied into account.